FIC/Everex Cloudbook(CE260) runs Ubuntu Hardy (8.04)

umpc_2.jpg

FIC CE260(Cloudbook) is an UMPC/netbook type of laptop. This blog entry explain how to install Ubuntu Hardy(8.04) on CE260.

First of all, let's take a look on the spec:


CPU VIA C7-M, ULV 1.2GHz
Level 2 Cache 128KB
Chipset VIA VX700 (Single Chipset)
Memory One DDR2-533 SO-DIMM Slot, up to 1GB
Graphics Integrated in VX700
LCD 7 inches WVGA Touch Panel, 800 x 480 pixels
ODD External Combo Drive via USB
Audio Compliant with HD Audio; built-in 2 high quality speakers (1.5W)
Card reader 4-in-1 Card Reader
Keyboard 80-key with Inverted-T cursor keys and Windows hot keys
Pointing Micro Pad with 2 Click Buttons
I / O ports 1 x DVI port / 2 x USB 2.0 ports / 1 x DC-in jack
Audio ports 1 x Headphone/Line out jack , 1 x Microphone in jack (w/ Array Mic.)
LAN 1 x RJ-45 port for 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
WLAN IEEE 802.11b/g-USB Interface
Bluetooth USB Interface
AC / DC adapter AC 100-240V, 50-60 Hz, 50W, 20V
Battery 4-cell Li-Ion
Dimension 230 (W) x 171 (D) x 29.4 (H)
Weight Under 0.97 kg
Extend Module Skype and Bluetooth Phone; Option: TV Tuner or GPS Module

The device on my hand have a skype module, I haven't found a way to make it work yet. It keeps failed to get connect with every computer or phones on my hand.

Synaptic TouchPad

One thing will quite bothering people, the touchpad's left and right click doesn't work. Create a .xmodmap in your home directory with these content:


keycode 127 = Pointer_Button1
keycode 128 = Pointer_Button3


After you've done this, login to graphical desktop and:

System -> Preferences -> Assistive Technologies

In "Assistive Technologies Preferences" application window, do this:

Keyboard Accessibility -> Mouse Keys -> *check* the option "Allow to control the pointer using the keyboard"

OKay, you've conquer the annoying touch pad bug.

If you want to know why, the keycode 127 and 128 was mapped to *Window Keys* before.

Touch Screen

I haven't fix the touch screen. And don't know where I can find the driver. Please kindly advice me when you found something: jouston gmail com

VGA

You will need to download VIA driver to make it work. http://linux.via.com.tw/support/beginDownload.action?eleid=7&fid=5

The driver installation is very simple:
# tar zxvf via-unichrome.83.40692.tar.gz
# cd via-unichrome.83.40692
# sudo ./vinstall

After all these, the graphic driver should able to work. But the screen seems larger than the physical screen. To edit xorg.conf will fix that:

# sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Find this:


SubSection "Display"
Modes "1024x768"
Virtual 1024 768
EndSubSection


Chang to:


SubSection "Display"
Modes "800x480"
EndSubSection


You can also download my xorg.conf and replace your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Then it should be able to works. One thing is quite bother me though. After install the driver, boot time will be dramatically increase which will be blocked at X startup for almost one minute.

Another side note is I can't enable compiz with both VESA or VIA beta driver above. So eye-candy lovers might be disappointed for this sad news.


Audio

Work with default Hardy install.

suspend/hibernate

Before install VIA graphic driver, the hibernate(S4) won't work. You will need to install graphic driver to make it work.

The S3/S4 failure rate is more than 10%, that is you will fail once a while.

wifi

Work with default Hardy install.

bluetooth

Work with default Hardy install.

The skype *phone* module is a bluetooth headset actually. But I haven't found a way to pair it with any other device on my hand. I have more than 7 X86 devices and 3 bluetooth enabled phones but none of them work with it.

NIC

Work with default Hardy install.

4-in-1 media card reader

Work with default Hardy install.



* Pic/Spec source: http://www.fic.com.tw/product/umpc.aspx

留言

  1. Hi there, I found your site on google, and it is very interesting. I to have the cloudbook and am wondering how you got rid of the screen flicker issue with the new unichrome.83.40692 drivers?


    Could you post and or email me your xorg.conf file?

    Thanks again,
    Rob

    回覆刪除
  2. Hi Robby,
    I've attached my xorg.conf here. I also found screen flicking issue as well, but that happened rare so that's not quite bother me.

    回覆刪除
  3. Hello,
    finding your site was a godsend!

    I recently got an FIC CE260 direcctly form taiwan FIC (not Everex branded). It also has touch screen and a webcam module (where your skype is). It came with nothing pre-istalled. I decided to put gOS 3.1.

    Most everything worked out of the box, but Wifi acting strange. It cant seem to find my wifi router (Time Capsule) on Roaming mode. But it works when I enter ssid+pass manually, even though the wifi gadgets still shows me as offline...

    Also, the touch screen works partly for me, it moves and clicks, but its not aligned with where I press my finger so it's pretty much unusable :(

    I am ending the WindowsXP driver (came on CD with the cmputer) to your gmail, perhpas u can find a clue to the manufacturer there...

    thanks a bunch for the tips here,
    David

    回覆刪除
  4. Thanks David.

    If you get that device directly from FIC, you might be able to get their preinstalled gOS image as well.

    回覆刪除

張貼留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

大車人生: Yamaha FZ6N更換TPS、火星塞以及引擎調校

[鳳梨外貿社] 1988 Austin Mini Automatic 奧斯丁 迷你上架銷售

PSA Citroen C5 Stereo Upgrade - from RD3 to RD45 (applied to Peugeot 307SW, Citroen XSara / C5 / C8, Berlingo)