HOWTO: Install Moblin 2.0 into Virtualbox

From blog entries on Engadget, I heard Moblin 2.0 was released. Yes, I definitely want to give it a try and see how it works. However I do not want to mess up my computer, dual boot looks silly on my X200 because I have lots of memory and P8600 CPU. I do believe run it in VirtualBox is most decent way to do so.

So, this is how I do it:
1. Download Moblin 2.0 image from here.
2. Get yourself an usb key, yes, I know maybe I can hack the image to be mounted with a floppy image but sorry my VirtualBox can't do it because it's on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope
3. Write the image into a usb key, remember to umount it before do write:

$ sudo umount /dev/sdb
$ sudo dd if=moblin-netbook-ux-beta-20090518-004.img of=/dev/sdb

4. Create a virtual disk image which redirect the usb key to itself:
$ sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ~/VirtualBox/HardDisks/moblin2_usb.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sdb

5. run virtualbox with root permission for now, we can access the installed disk image later on:
$ sudo virtualbox

6. Create a virtual machine with Fedora 32bit, make sure you check the PAE and 3D acceleration feature. To make performance better I also mark the VT-x because my ThinkPad X200 BIOS and my P8600 have VT support. Page Nest is another option you want if your host machine supports it.

7. Make sure you have secondary disk on the virtual machine is using moblin2_usb.vmdk

8. Boot the virtualbox and run the install.

9. Make sure your virtual disk is permission-right and back to your normal virtualbox. Run and enjoy your shiny moblin 2.0 install. ;-)

留言

  1. 今天與友人在 VBox 上面測試 Moblin 2.0 beta
    即使開了 3D 加速也是很慢
    另外,裝了 VBox Addon 開 3D 加速畫面是白的...~@_@"

    回覆刪除

張貼留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

大車人生: Yamaha FZ6N更換TPS、火星塞以及引擎調校

[鳳梨外貿社] 1988 Austin Mini Automatic 奧斯丁 迷你上架銷售

PSA Citroen C5 Stereo Upgrade - from RD3 to RD45 (applied to Peugeot 307SW, Citroen XSara / C5 / C8, Berlingo)