Paradigm shift: The devices beyond Smartphone

(Yes, most reader might not understand what I said and might pointing at me and shout out loud: BS! I also use vague terms here. But I don't care, I didn't share all details in my thinking logic, just want to share with you guys who want to open a conversation with me. So see this article as a good topic to argue with me. )

Following COSCUP 2011's closing, people started to looking into interesting technology like Andriuno and 3D printers. LWN.net also gave a report talking about "The year of Linux Tablet?" by Jonathan Corbet. Multiple online or offline media have a lot of reports on varies dimensions which COSCUP tried to enable.

Do you guys remember our tagline in COSCUP 2010? It's "HTML5 and web technologies"!

You see, COSCUP started to become quite precise on predicting the trend. Google launched CR-48 running cutting-edged ChromeOS. (And I'm typing with it running Ubuntu Natty with Chrome Browser) *Notorious* Angry Bird, my beloved Kindle Cloud Reader also coming to HTML5. Plus more, we talked about Legal issues last year as well and our dear Tim Cook just started a pattern war with Google, HTC and Samsung. Although it's not quite an smart move in business, we have highlighted the importance how Software Pattern affect our lives.

"Yeah, yeah... you guys are smart." You might start to thinking about that way. But, think twice how this happen. You will see why. Let me share with you my thoughts.

Let's look at the whole business. Taiwan used to be very strong in making computer hardware and always followers coming down the road until recent years. While the paradigm shifted, IBM and even HP quits the PC business but Taiwan as a big island doing even stronger nowadays. Who kills PC? You might ask. Is TV kills Radio star? The answer is no. Ask Google and you will know why.

But Tablet kills Notebook or PC or what? My brain tells me not so. Instead, I see Tablet will have a disruptive cut-in to become easier used device for people who don't use computer before. They might not necessarily don't afford PC but just simply don't know how to use. Yes of course we will see short-term issues on netbook or notebook category shipment, but, the market will still growth after the impact of Financial Crisis.

How this will affect the whole value net? I see it's going to be another shuffling. Mainland China will play an important role in digital content because the so-called "Piracy" might be a form of most advanced way to deliver contents. Taiwan will still hold most important role in computer hardware and shifting to software and service category. Especially hardware+software or hardward+service model.   US and Europe will keep leading in new business model and might eventually setup their HQ office in Greater China instead of their hometown. Especially those who are deep in computer hardware or software. I also see those traditional "Emergent" market might become larger player in this huge computer industry.

Come back to COSCUP 2012, what will the tagline be? Let's wait and see. ;-)

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

大車人生: Yamaha FZ6N更換TPS、火星塞以及引擎調校

[鳳梨外貿社] 1988 Austin Mini Automatic 奧斯丁 迷你上架銷售

PSA Citroen C5 Stereo Upgrade - from RD3 to RD45 (applied to Peugeot 307SW, Citroen XSara / C5 / C8, Berlingo)